congregation of faith
St. Paul's Lutheran Church
St. Paul's was founded in 1945 as the first American Lutheran Church in Oklahoma City. Rev. Harold W. Moench was called as pastor for this fledgling congregation and performed some of the first church services in a funeral home chapel and in the home of member, Robert Nixon. The congregation then bought land at 25th and North Blackwelder which is now a theatre on the Oklahoma City University Campus.
The church building was dedicated on October 21, 1951 and enjoyed a long period of growth. However, by 1974 Oklahoma City's growth was headed toward the suburbs and the congregation was losing families to new mission churches. In 1976, Rev. Bob Lutze and the congregation decided it was time to head northwest and selected the current church site on North Council Road. Services were held in the cafeteria of Harvest Hills Elementary until the new building was completed in December.
The new building, although architecturally very modern, kept some of the more traditional and sacred items from the original building; the original stained glass windows which frame the altar, topped with the marble from the original altar. In addition, the majestic Reuter pipe organ was also brought to the new sanctuary. St. Paul's enjoyed a period of tremendous growth and by 1985, the congregation was running out of room. An additional 12,500 square feet, now known as the Education Wing and Activity Center, was added as well as the addition of more Church Staff.
Our new pastor, the Reverend Walter Swenson, was installed on September 8th, 2002. We are dedicated to making St. Paul's the best it can be and we invite you to join us for Sunday Services or for any of our Bible Studies, classes or activities.